Kick-up rudder

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

Kick-up rudder

Postby joecomet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Fellow Falconeers
I have just (with the help of my 'boatbuilder') completed a rather novel design for a kick-up rudder. Instead of the usual up and down lines, I have installed a Mahogany rod with forked end to the trailing edge of my rudder. The rod extends from this fork attachment up through two eyes to end just over the tiller tail with a hardwood ball for a handle. A simple matter to push and pull the rudder into desired position. Should be out for sea trials shortly. I really can't take credit for this design as I had seen it in 'Small Craft Advisor' (you really should be subscribing to this one), but this is my version. Will try to send some pics.
joecomet
Tallahassee
joecomet

Re: Kick-up rudder

Postby joecomet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:27 am

Here are the pics of 'Carrifran Falcon' at the Apalachacola Boat Show. Won 'Best in Show'. My new (old) kick-up rudder design. Wood work by Mick Bishop of Crawfordville.
Attachments
100_0057.jpg
She is flying the pre Union Scottish Maritime Ensign
100_0056 - Copy.jpg
New Kick-up design
100_0055.JPG
'Carrifran Falcon'
joecomet

Postby littlebear » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Joe,

Congratulations on your award. That is a first class restoration! Nice job on the rudder. (I'm fka "ursaminor", you had commented on my black and white color scheme a year or so ago when you were just starting your project) It's great to see another of these boats brought back into top shape. Enjoy!
Falcon # 176 "True Luff" (1960's) "Raptor" (1983- present)
littlebear

Postby joecomet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks for the nice words from the care-taker of our Pole Star.
joecomet
joecomet

Postby joecomet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am

Notice the very long shaft on my electric motor? Has anyone of you folks tried to shorten the shaft on these beasties? I think I could get rid of at least 10" of shaft.
joecomet
joecomet

Return to Restorations