painting

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

painting

Postby quantumleap » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Greetings to all!

I am acquiring a new/old falcon. I shall post photos this weekend. My question is what is the best way to lift and paint the bottom. It will be trailer'ed and not left in the water. I am thinking of releasing the winch on the front of the trailer, sliding the boat back a few inches onto a wood support and then moving the trailer forward slowly placing wood 2x6's in 4 locations. Once it is off, I can then "roll" the falcon to one side, sand, repair, prep and paint. Roll to the other side and repeat. or roll it over completely and work the entire bottome. Brace it upright and then work the top and cabin. For those that have done this, any thoughts?
I am unsure how much it weights so I believe 3 or so people cant lift and flip it.
thank you :)
quantumleap

Re: painting

Postby DaveD » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Welcome!!

Always good to see another Falcon out there.

Be sure to create your own thread in the Roll Call section so we can see your progress. Include any identifying hull numbers, or manufacturer plates.

When you are done, be sure to submit some pictures so we can get you a photo album on the main site: http://www.falconsailboats.org

I was able to heat my paint with a heat gun slowly, and slip a putty knife under it and lift it off. If you go this route, I would suggest a ventilated area, and don't dig too deep, there is a soft "finish" layer under the paint that scratches easily, and you don't want to go to the fiber underneath. Be sure to fill any digs with epoxy or gelcoat filler.

I just saw an add for a paint stripper on Jamestown Distributors that seemed to get good reviews. It strips old paint off to the "finish" layer. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=803&familyName=Ready+Strip+Marine

As far at "Turtleing" the boat, I haven't done my Falcon bottom yet, that is one of the projects for this summer. I have done it on other boats though. You should be able just to set the hull on the ground or level it off with wood blocks while you work on the deck, but I would avoid walking inside as you would risk cracking the hull. Wait till you have it back on the trailer to work on the inside. If you are going to flip it over, be sure to support it by the deck around the gunwales. The cabin top isn't made to support the weight of the boat, and you could crack the joints between the cabin top and coaming boards (mine were cracked when I got mine). You could make several "jack-stands" to put under the deck while you have it turned over.

I've taken mine off the trailer before by lifting the tongue of the trail up till the skeg (small fin in the back) is resting on the ground, and have a couple friends hold up the boat while you pull the trailer slowly out from under the boat. Then set it on the ground.

Good luck, let us know how it worked out!
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to Restorations