1960ish Falcon Restoration (*95% Complete!)

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

1960ish Falcon Restoration (*95% Complete!)

Postby DaveD » Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 pm

OK, Here is the story of the restoration of my Falcon.

I found this sad looking vessel sitting on the side of the road with grass growing in the bilge and paint peeling like crazy.

The trailer was strong, and the fiberglass looked OK. I didn't know what kind of boat it was, I thought it was a DaySailer of some sort.

I paid $150 for it and towed it home. I figured the trailer was at least worth that.

I attacked it with a garden hose and started doing some forensics. **Click on the Picture to view full size.

P1010146.jpg
P1010146.jpg (489.08 KiB) Viewed 4511 times


P1010148.jpg
P1010148.jpg (474.9 KiB) Viewed 4513 times


P1010155.jpg
P1010155.jpg (426.01 KiB) Viewed 4512 times



It turns out the stringers, floor boards, and center console where completely rotted (I put my finger right through) and the seat/lockers were on their way out. I very carefully cut out the wood, making sure to keep as much of the origional shapes as possible (I would later use some of it for patterns). All of the wood fixtures were mahogany, and the floor boards where mahogany faced marine plywood. I had no idea if this was original design or not.

The Deck and Hull:

Upon hosing it down and giving it a power wash, I discovered the gelcoat bubbles. Hundreds of them all over the deck and hull. It looked like someone took a shotgun to the deck and then beat it with a hammer. I did some investigation to find out how to repair them and prevent them from coming back. Many boat restorers recommended West System epoxy. I wound up resurfacing the whole deck and making major repairs to the fiberglass itself.

The Woodwork:

I replaced the stringers with pressure treated deck lumber coated in epoxy. This sealed out water, and prevents insects and dry rot. I salvaged as much of the mahogany as I could from the seats and used it to rebuild the center console. I replaced the seats with 3/4 hardwood plywood (cabinet stock) with waterproof glue. I then coated it with epoxy and painted it.

All mahogany was refinished (stripped and sanded) then 3 layers of Spar Urethane Satin finish.

Painting:

I repainted the deck and hull with Brightside paint by Interlux. It contains Teflon and some other additives to make it tough and resistant to staining. I also used Interdeck for non-skid.

End Result:

IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg (246.76 KiB) Viewed 4523 times


IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2644.jpg (296.46 KiB) Viewed 4520 times


IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg (299.46 KiB) Viewed 4521 times


Thanks for reading! Happy Sailing!
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: 1960ish Falcon Restoration (*95% Complete!)

Postby poncho1958 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 am

The Falcon looks great! You had to do way more work on yours than I had to on mine. The hull and cockpit look real nice. I have taken your idea on rigging the boom with the two swivel blocks at the stern and one on the end of the boom. Good luck on getting it on the water.
poncho1958
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: 1960ish Falcon Restoration (*95% Complete!)

Postby DaveD » Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks!!

It was fun restoring it (most of the time)...

Here's my wife with the maiden voyage, while I parked the trailer.

IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg (365.62 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:38 pm


Return to Restorations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron