The Falcon is finally done!

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

The Falcon is finally done!

Postby poncho1958 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Attached are photos of my finished boat. It should hit the water this weekend, I'll let you all know how it sails. The whole outside of the hull has been painted. I didn't have the time or money to use true hull paint. I found by trial and error that Rustoleum makes a paint, oil based epoxy, that if for havy duty outdoor use on plastic, fiberglass and metal. It drys hard it about 1 day, looks good and is only about $12 a Quart. The sails are new, all the woodwork was stripped, sanded and covered with 3 coats of Spar varnish. I hope the finished boats sails as good as it looks!!
Poncho
Attachments
rigged 006.jpg
rigged 006.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
IMG00005.jpg
IMG00005.jpg (22.88 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
IMG00007.jpg
IMG00007.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
poncho1958

Re: The Falcon is finally done!

Postby DaveD » Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 pm

BEAUTIFUL!

I'm getting close too.

Enjoy the fruits! Let us know how she sails.

I see your jib sheets are tied in at the coaming boards??? (That looks much better.) Mine run through and attach at the keel trunk.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby laybacklenny » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 am

Congradulations on a job well done , the Falcon looks great hope you have good winds for your madian voyage.An old saying around these parts : Long may your big jib draw:
Len
laybacklenny

Postby PJRoss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Great job on your restoration. I have a couple of questions for you. Was the paint you found specifically for marine work, or was it something in stock that had the characteristics that you described? How has it held up? I am going back and forth between a simple and less expensive restoration, and an more details (time consuming) and more expensive job. Any insight you can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
PJRoss

Postby DaveD » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 am

Hey PJ,

I can't testify for the paint that poncho used, but I will say that I've seen people use Rustoleum above the waterline with no ill effects. I still wouldn't use it below the waterline though. Rustoleum also makes a bottom paint for boats: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6

It depends on your environment what you want to use.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby poncho1958 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Sorry i haven't replyed to your question, been working on another project boat that has taken up all my time!
As Dave said the Rustoleum has held up well ABOVE the waterline. Below the paint has started to come off. I will have to strip and use a true hull paint in the spring.
poncho1958

Return to Restorations