Hull #794 restoration

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

Hull #794 restoration

Postby rimike82 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:58 pm

I finally have time to do some work on my boat, the bottom is done (other thread here:http://falconsailboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=134) Now I am going to be focusing on the topside and interior. I got the boat for free off craigslist and had no idea what it was, after doing some research I landed here, though it seems that most people have forgotten the site or check back in from time to time.

There was no info on the boat and the only indicators were the numbers on the sail so I have no idea who made it or when. If someone could give me an idea, that would be helpful though I'm speculating that since there is no identification on the boat, that it's a very early build.

When I got it, there was a tree growing though it and about 200 gallons worth of dirt, leaves and water in it. The wooden stringers were all rotted, the roof was caved in and the gelcoat was exploding off it. I have fabed up some new stringers and will be uploading pics soon, as well as keeping updates going along the process, stay tuned.
rimike82

Re: Hull #794 restoration

Postby William » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Sounds like you have quite a job ahead. I have never been able to find any numbers on my hull either and the previous owner did not know the make of the boat so it took a year to find out it was a Falcon. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted.
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Postby rimike82 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Got some pics from the weekend. I've been focusing on the cabin top, which is a very difficult task consider there is about 1/8-3/16" of resin that needs to be ground out before I get to a good surface of cloth to bond the cloth to. Also there was a rebar that was glassed into the cabin top, who put it there or why is beyond me. All I can assume was it was there to stiffen it up. As mentioned previously a tree fell on it and stoved it in, so I cut out the old rebar, ground down the edge and re-glasses it. Somewhere along the way a compass hole was cut out, so I filled the hole back in. Once cured (hopefully tonight) I am going to grind down the excess and start to shape the edges, grind down the rest of the cabin top and start to shape everything. Once that's done I plan on tackling the stringers.
Here are some pics:
rimike82

Postby littlebear » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 pm

Mike,

Mine is #176 and has the steel rod in the cuddy top and the centerboard trunk looks like yours. Since you're in Rhode Island it's a good bet your boat is either a Beetle (New Bedford) or one of the successors (American Boat Building, Marscot) that built the boat later on in Rhode Island. You don't mention if you still have the mast / boom or rigging. If they're missing, it may be worth a call to Zephyr Spars at Cape Cod Shipbuilding in Wareham MA. They still had the original rigging plans in the mid 80's when mine needed a new mast after Hurricane Gloria dropped a couple of pine trees on her. The place is kind of a time warp, I bet they still have them. Good luck, it's worth it in the end.
Falcon # 176 "True Luff" (1960's) "Raptor" (1983- present)
littlebear

Postby rimike82 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 am

The mast and boom are in fair condition. They will need some sanding and clear coating, but they will work. Both the standing rigging and running rigging is all new, so are all the blocks. Here is a pic of the trailing edge of the cabin top, just need to do final fairing and its done, and I found a weak spot in the hull where a previous patch was unsuccessfully repaired, so I ground it down and re-laid some glass.
rimike82

Return to Restorations