New Centerboard Hardware

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

New Centerboard Hardware

Postby William » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 am

Last summer I noticed I was getting some water coming in where the pin goes through the centerboard trunk. I sent for a new pin, rubber washers and gromets from DAndR Marine that fit a Daysailer with the understanding that they use the same centerboard assembly. I'm hoping these new parts will kill the problem of the looseness in the centerboard that allows it to slip down when trailering and come up when sailing down wind. Has anyone changed these parts? I want to make sure I get everything in the right order. Anyone know where some diagrams are posted?
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: New Centerboard Hardware

Postby DaveD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 am

I have changed the rubber washers with the ones from D and R. They work great.

One thing I did notice: be sure to sand off any burrs that might be on the parts, to make sure that it doesn't tear the new gaskets.

The trick is to tighten down the triangle plate enough to not leak, but provide enough friction to hold the board down. I did this by making tiny alterating 1/8 turn adjustments after you get the screws hand tight.

The first time I launched afterward, I carried a screw driver and made the final adjustments in the water.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby William » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:30 pm

I think I am missing a part. Trying to get a close look at the centerboard levers in the restoration pictures it looks as if there should be a plate on the outside of the centerboard lever. My boat just has the centerboard trunk, a metal plate with what should be 3 bolts attacked to nothing, then a gasket then the lever with nothing on the other side. Do I need a plate there to provide the friction and prevent the lever from freely moving up and down?
William
William

Postby William » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:51 am

the part missing was called the centerboard lever pressure plate. Got a new one from D and R Marine which since it is located in my state only took a couple of days to receive. It came without the three holes and drilling cast bronze had me worried but it was no trouble. I only wish I could get her in the water to try it out and make adjustments.
William
William

Postby DaveD » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I'll photograph mine when I get out of storage in a couple of weeks.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby William » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks. :D
William
William

Return to Restorations