New Falcon (what have I done)

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

New Falcon (what have I done)

Postby JohnResch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 pm

So there I was minding my own business and roaming around on e bay. I really need to stop doing that. I live in Florida very near the water and started thinking my 5 year old does not yet know how to sail. He does great with the power boat but really knows how to work a blow boat. So like I said e bay and suddenly I own another boat. The boat in question is of course a beetle falcon. Did i mention the mangled mast. Last guy forgot to lower it and drove into a wire of of some sort. So haul the mess home and see what we have here. All in all solid given the age needs plenty of love but don't we all. Now the bad news as the rig was shot I went with what was on hand. On had was a rig from a comp 16. I don't think I will be doing a class acing just have some fun with the kids. As I live a very short distance for the ramp I use and I had some stuff on hand I have made some minor changes. I mounted a tabernacle on top of the cuddy which of course required some reinforcement. Starting from the bottom I glassed in a block and between it and the bottom of the cabin roof a carefully measured and mounted a salvaged chunk of the original mast. Above that the tabernacle. This allows the mast to be folded down but remain in place. It hangs off the rear of the boat some but as I said it's a short tow. The standing rigging is a combination of the two rigs but looks like it will work out. Now working on the rest of the rigging and hundreds of other things it needs. But it will be a great little boat again soon. So to the purists in the room sorry for making the changes but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Of course so did going on e bay! So thanks for all the good information I have already found here. Look forward to your comments.

John
Attachments
7.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
JohnResch

Re: New Falcon (what have I done)

Postby William » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

I saw that boat on Ebay and I'm glad to see it found a good home. I can't wait to see how the tabernacle works out on the Falcon. People on the DS forum install them all the time but the DS mast passes through the cuddy roof and the falcon mast is usually mounted on the upper deck so I hadn't considered using one myself. BTW there are'nt too many purist when it comes to Beetle Falcons everyone seems to be free with modifications and experiments. The hull is a good solid platform and can take alot of tinkering.
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Postby DaveD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:32 pm

There are actually very few "original" boats out there that haven't been modified in some way, shape or form. There are no aftermarket parts available, and sails have to be custom made.

I'm actually having trouble joining a "club" because my boat doesn't fit into a class. You can't beat the stability of this boat, and they don't make the hulls like this anymore.

Glad to see you join up!

--DD
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby JohnResch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Continued improvement ,I will be ready for trials in the next week or so. Been looking at as many of all your photos as possible for the rigging of the main sheet. have it worked out for now with whats on hand. One of those things that will be forever improving. any close up photos of good setup would be welcome.
Attachments
Picture 188.jpg
JohnResch

Postby DaveD » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 am

I posted how I rig my Falcon here:
http://www.falconsailboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102

The typical system is attached to 2 blocks on the transom in in a 3:1 ratio that creates a "self-traveller" type setup.

(I believe 3:1 is right, correct me if I'm wrong).

Keep in mind that the more "there-and-backs" you add to the mainsheet, the longer it will take you to trim it in.

With the setup I have, I'm not overly strong, but I can pull it in with 25mph winds no problem. Sometimes if it's gusting real bad, I'll just grab the mainsheet right out of the block at the boom and catch and release it there.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby joecomet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 am

John
I have thought about mounting a stub mast (saw the bottom 18"off my mast) on the fore deck mast fitting, and a hinged tabernacle on the top of the stud. The rest of the mast then pins to the tabernacle. I keep riding by an O'Day DS in a junk yard that has such a rig. Boat is missing rudder asembly and most everything else but the mast and rigging. Owner doesn't want to sell for parts as yet. The boats been sitting there for years. I'm waiting it out. but then again I might just build my own.
My boat is in major deck overhaul and wood restoration. Hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks. Supposed to show it off at the Apalachacola Classic Boat Show April 21st, for boats built before 1970. I am also planning to attend the Cedar Key Small Boat Meet. on May 5-6th. Did it last year. Great fun, shallow water sailing. Might even try the Florida 120 on May 17-20th. A four day sail on the inside across part of the Panhandle.
I guess we are the only two Falcon's in Florida, though I thought that there was one in Pensacola.
So that makes us the Florida Falcon Class. Where do you tie up your boat? I am in Tallahassee. A Sarasota native. Family arived after the big American war,(the one with Blue and Gray), which we represented on both sides.
Send me an e-mail and lets talk.
jhaley3rd@msn.com
Joseph Haley
Tallahassee
'Carrifran Falcon'
joecomet

Return to Restorations