'Carrifran Falcon gets a face lift.

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

'Carrifran Falcon gets a face lift.

Postby joecomet » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Well, the ol 'Carrifran Falcon' is getting some major woodwork repairs. Found that the cockpit combing was not sealed to the deck properly, and the botton of the pieces were not sealed at all. So of couse they rotted. They were some type of plywood. Am now replacing with mohogany. Also adding a face peace/brace to the cuddy lip. Will give me a place to screw in a brass builders plate that I had made up, as there are no ID markings on the boat. MacVay did not evidently add a builders plate or other markings, while building for Paceship (till 1964). Sanding and painting deck and adding non-slip to foredeck. Since I have never even seen the centerboard, I an setting up the boat so I can drop it and take a look. Seems to have the same blue bottom paint as the rest of the lower hull. While we are at it, going to rig the mainsheet back to the centerboard housing, with mahogany plate, swivel block and jam.
I found an old beat up O'Day Daysailer in a junk yard, that has a mast stub that goes through the deck. It just sticks up above the cuddy, and has a tabernacle on the top, with the other half on the bottom of the mast. So you just pin the mast butt to the top of the stub and push the mast up. Sure a lot easier that lifting a one piece mast, juggling it while you get it onto the deck plate. Yard doesn't want to sell the rig without the hull, which is missing rudder'tiller, and most of the other pieces. So I guess I'll just keep on with what I have for now, and wait them out. During the down time on the hull, (been to hot to sail much, as its been bumping 100 degress), I am going to send the main to our nearest sailmaker in Panama City (FL), to have a row of reef points put on. She is now flying the 1700's maritime flag of Scotland, as she is afterall a Scots Falcon (built by a Scot in Nova Scotia or New Scotland named MacVay, Carries the name of a Scottish glen, and sailed by a Scottish/American).
All this should be done by September, when it cools off. I missed the 'Florida 120', across part of the Panhandle from Pensacola and back. Boy the small boat fleets are realy getting active.
All for now. "Keep the shinny side up", or my Clan motto, "Recta Vel Ardua" (upright though difficult")
Joseph
'Carrifran Falcon'
Tallahassee
joecomet

Re: 'Carrifran Falcon gets a face lift.

Postby William » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 am

Sounds like you have a good job ahead. post pictures if you get em.
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: 'Carrifran Falcon gets a face lift.

Postby joecomet » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

What a deal!! The guy who is doing the wood restoration for me owns an Endeavor 34, and has invited me to sail with him this Thur.
My main has a nice set of new reef points for a 20% redution. If this Gulf weather will just calm down, we can finish the paint and varnish, so we can get the Falcon in the water.
Joseph
joecomet

Return to Restorations