Reston Virginia Falcon Restoration

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

Reston Virginia Falcon Restoration

Postby PJRoss » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 pm

I wasn't able to start working on the boat the first day I got her home, but was able to dedicate most of a Sunday the following week.

I removed all of the hardware, as well as the rudder, rotten motor mount, floorboards, seats, and mahogany coaming.

I then scrapped the deck, and sanded with 60 grit and 100 grit.

I know I will need to replace the stringers, dig and fill countless blisters, expoxy a few small cracks, and repaint the entire boat inside and out. I also want to glue and refinish the mahogany, add a drain plug, and make a kick-up rudder. Only a few things to take care on in my free time. I am sure I will be asking plenty of questions, so stand by.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far.
Attachments
DSC_0086.JPG
Mahogany coaming removed
DSC_0081.JPG
Motor mount removed
DSC_0080.JPG
Miscellaneous items removed
Last edited by PJRoss on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PJRoss

Re: Reston Virginia Falcon Restoration

Postby PJRoss » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 pm

More work and more pictures.
Attachments
DSC_0116.JPG
Deck scrapped, sanded, and sanded
DSC_0088.JPG
All hardware removed
PJRoss

Postby DaveD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:18 am

AHH! What did they do to your cuddy!!?!

LOL

Welcome!

I'm sure we can help you figure it out!
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby joecomet » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 am

I really admire you folks taking on these old battered boats. After looking at your pics, I will never whine again about the small repairs that I have to do on my '64' .
Joseph Haley in Tallahassee
joecomet

Postby PJRoss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything about my progress this winter. I have been busy working on several of the parts I took off in the fall.

The cockpit coaming was my first project. It was severely cracked in several places. I cleaned and epoxied everything, and filled any voids that I missed the first (and second) time. Then lots of sanding to get off years of neglect, and was ready to move on to the next project. I had to wait for the weather to improve to take the wood outside to varnish.

The next project was to make a new rudder. The boat came with a very heavy metal one, that appeared to be the same shape as the original fixed rudder. I used that as a template to shape a new rudder out of 3/4 in plywood. A little time with the random orbital sander, and the shape was good enough for my first DIY rudder. I wetted, glasses, and wetted the new rudder. It turned out very well (I think). All I need to do now is drill the holes for the hardware, and epoxy the insides of the holes to prevent moisture rot.

I needed a new tiller as well, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money, so I labinated a plank out of some wood I had in the shop, and have since cut and sanded it to form. I still need to epoxy the holes and fill any voids before varnishing.

Next was the center board. I had removed that prior to storing the boat for the winter because the lever would move, but not the board. I quickly realized that the center of the board had decayed, and the metal washer in the middle was just spinning. I opened the starboard side of the board where the handle goes in, and found a large, somewhat empty cavity. The washer was in there, and it was in good shape. It was about 2"x 3" with a square whole in the middle. I epoxied this to the other flat side of the board (it looked like that's where it was previously attached), and then filled the entire board with resin, cloth, and collodial silica. The board seems solid as a rock. I have since repaired a section of one side of the board, and am about to put a thin layer of new cloth all around the entire edge to cover any old gouges and prevent any new ones.

Finally, I was able to set up a work station outside this weekend, and get the first coat of varnish on the coaming. I am using Epifanes Clear Gloss varnish. The first coat was thined to a 50/50 mix. I am planning on a 60/40 mix, then 70/30, 80/20, 90/10 and finally 4-6 coats at full strength. We will see if I have the patience for all of that. I worked hard on the prep work, so it will be worth it to do it right.

I am sure I have done someo other small things this winter, but I have gone on enough for now. I have been bad about taking picture along the way, but I will take some picture of the current state soon and post them. I hope everyone else is having a good time with winter projects. I am ready to be done with projects, and get started sailing.
PJRoss

Postby DaveD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:19 am

Sounds fantastic...
Can't wait to see pictures.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby PJRoss » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Finally made the decision to flip the boat, and am mad at myself for not doing this sooner! It was pretty easily done with 2-3 adults. It is so much nicer to not be on my back working under the trailer. I probably wasted weeks, if not months.

Anyway, I was able to sand the rest of the bottom in about 30 minutes.

Time to finish the filling and fairing on hte bottom. I could have done a smoother job, but I am ready to paint and sail!

I applied 3 coats of Interprotect 2000E, followed by two coats of Interlux Pre-kote. I was able to get good coverage of the entire bottom and hull with about one quart per coat. Here is the boat with the Interprotect on.
DSC_0452.JPG
Interprotect 2000E
PJRoss

Postby PJRoss » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Here she is after the first coat if finish paint. I am going with Interlux Brightside. I didn't want to work with two part paints, but probably should have. The barrier coat was a two part product and it was easy enough to work with. Just got lazy and didn't want to return the paint and primer I had already bought.
Attachments
DSC_0456.JPG
Overall, very pleased with the products so far. Time will tell how they cure and take abuse.
DSC_0459.JPG
I need to add some Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid on the next few coats to avoid the tipping lines.
DSC_0462.JPG
Interlux Brightside. Sorry about the shaddows.
PJRoss

Postby DaveD » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Looks fantastic!

There is only one issue with Brightside: it's not designed for under the waterline use. Even in freshwater, it will peel off after a bit.

There are a few epoxy based bottom paints out there that are designed for trailer boat use, and are simple to apply.

I think no longer than 72 hours in the water is what Interlux told me.
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to Restorations