tewksbury Falcon 95% done!!

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

tewksbury Falcon 95% done!!

Postby quantumleap » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:54 pm

well we have been busy up here, and we are almost done. I am putting on some navigational lights, a couple other little things and she will be ready to sail. but, here are a few updated photos.. enjoy. btw we are naming the boat,,,,, Skittles,,,,,,,, :D 3 is the limit so I shall post a few times to get the photos up.
Attachments
DSC_0590.jpg
DSC_0589.jpg
DSC_0587.jpg
quantumleap

Re: tewksbury Falcon 95% done!!

Postby quantumleap » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 pm

3 more of skittles
Attachments
DSC_0593.jpg
DSC_0592.jpg
DSC_0590.jpg
quantumleap

Postby quantumleap » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 pm

last 3 for now
Attachments
DSC_0596.jpg
DSC_0595.jpg
DSC_0594.jpg
quantumleap

Postby joecomet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello from joecomet
I have a couple of questions on your boat parts. My 'cutty' aft edge is either missing or never had a support. I notice that yours does. Did you fasten it with epoxy, or just scews, or both? Do the ends fit against the cockpit combing? Secondly, the woodwork over the centerboard housing that supports your mainsheet swivel block, what is it fastend to? You have a solid inner deck. I do not. I have sections of one by four over the hull stringers. Is your mainsheet support housing fastend to the hull stringers? I really prefer this location for the final sheeting device. The last owner of my boat used just a jam cleat on the rear deck. Haven't sailed the boat yet but this does look flimsy. Also noticed that your main is some short on the boom. Mine is too. Wounder if our sailmakers made the main to the later Falcon's rig dimentions, those made by McVay's own yard in the 70's when the rig was a little smaller? Our boats look like they are the earlier version built in Canada with the taller mast and longer boom.
My compliments on your restoration.
Joseph Haley
joecomet

Postby NODROG » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Looks like a BEETLE built boat to me, she appears to be a near sister to my Dad's old boat. He describes the seats as going all the way to the stern like yours, he enclosed the area under the afterdeck to provide enclosed storage. The outboard bracket matchs the one that BEETLE used on many of their boats (my Dad's boat did not origianlly have one, he added a different one). The rudder matchs the BEETLE design.
That wood trim across the edge of the cuddy is not original, must have been added by a previous owner to either stiffen the edge or for looks.

A few tips, the jibsheets should run inside the shrouds for better sail trim, my Dad moved his to the forward end of the seats (actually the inside edge of the forward ends). However on his boat there were no holes through the coamings for the jibsheets, the sheets originally just ran over the tops of the coamings and the wood was getting worn.
NODROG

Postby DaveD » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Actually, that same design was done by Beetle Fiberglass Boats and American Boat Building Co. and early models of the McVay.

Mine has the cuddy trim, and it is original. Funny you mention closing off the empty space in the stern, as this is my spring 2011 project. I'm going to wire in some switch panels and fuses for the light system and add a "dry locker" for putting electronics and personal items.

His may actually be an American Boatbuilding Co. model.

The jib sheets would go inside the shrouds (and through fairleads if you had them) if you were flying a short jib and outside the shrouds if you had a long jib.

Some Falcons have 2 head sails.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to Restorations