Centerboard Question

Restoring your Falcon? Come in for tips, and share your knowledge.

Centerboard Question

Postby William » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Does anyone know if a centerboard from an Oday Daysailer will fit in a falcon? I know the hardware is the same but am not sure if the dimensions of the board itself are compatible.
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: Centerboard Question

Postby SailorJohn » Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi William,

Read your question about the centerboard, don't know if this overcome by events (OBE) or not, but if I had to guess it would be that they would be slightly different. Reason being, the boats were made by different companies and the size of the Daysailer, while nearly the same, is slightly larger, enough so that the centerboard should also be larger.

Also, I think the O'Day boat is a newer design and appears to have copied the concept of the Falcon but enlarged it. It also has a larger stern than the Falcon. It would be interesting to know the sail area comparison, beam, and draft of the O'Day.

Anyway, if you figured something out it would be nice to know what you came up with. Our Falcon is still on the trailer as I've not been able to get back to work on her.

One thing for sure, it is interesting to know the lever hardware is the same.

I do check in from time to time to check on the activity but, unfortunately, don't really have much to post. Been meaning to post more historical information but having changed computers the scanner hadn't worked with the new one. Finally got an update to one of the old HP 2740 printer/copier/scanner/fax machine so may revisit scanning. It just doesn't have the control capability of my old HP flatbed scanner.
S/V Schmetterling
SailorJohn

Postby William » Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Well I took a chance and bought the used centerboard and as you suspected the Oday was a little bigger but the mounting hole was in the exact same place so I was able to trim it and shape it to the size of the homemade sheet vinyl centerboard that came with my Falcon. Haven't put it in the water yet though.
William
William

Postby SailorJohn » Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Hey William, you scored! That is really good news to know the hole fit in the same place.

It would have been nice to make a pattern of it before finally installing it so in the event someone else needed to make one they'd have a starting point.

For myself, I don't know how I could get the centerboard out. The boat is fairly heavy and it's on a trailer. Perhaps find a way to roll it partway off the trailer, support the stern and the part of the hull just in front of the centerboard trunk, climb in and unbolt things, then drop the centerboard. Could be done. It's be nice to have some drawings.

We still have all the original mahogany cockpit comings and seats that were on the boat when new so would be good for a pattern. Come to think of it, we get this brown paper about two feet wide in all the boxes from Amazon, used in lieu of the foam peanuts. What I could do is to start saving some the next few times we get a shipment, and use them for a pattern to make up a drawing with dimensions. Could help someone in restoring their boat. Our's is a Sterling but the pattern should be really close to any of the other manufacturers.

A rudder pattern would be nice to have. Is there anything in the way of rigging info you need?

What else do you still have to do?

-= John =-
~~~_/)~~~
SailorJohn

Postby William » Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 pm

She is good for now with only some cosmetic work to get her ready for the season. although it is a shame I don't have original sails.
William
William

Postby SailorJohn » Fri May 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi William,

Good to hear the boat is really fixed up and, I guess, ready to go.

With regard to not having the original sails it may be a mixed blessing. On the one hand, the original sails would probably have a sail number with which one could find out about the boat's history and previous owners. By searching the old Falcon Class Books there is a lot of information about the boat owners from that time.

For new sails, the 1966 Class Book has sail dimensions on pages 9 and 10 at http://www.falconsailboats.org/files/19 ... nClass.pdf

Just bought a new Code Zero for our other boat last year and the price was, I think, quite good. I shopped a number of Sail Lofts and mail-order outfits and Precision Sails on Vancouver Island is where I bought the asymmetrical spinnaker from. Back in the day the Falcons flew a full symmetrical spinnaker but for a non-racing, short handed crew the asymmetrical would be a nice way to go. The Falcon is an exciting boat to sail without being a full-fledged out-and-out racing boat. Nice and dry and comfortable. Great performing family boat.

Please let us know about any new developments and how it goes.

-= John =-
SailorJohn

Postby SailorJohn » Fri May 31, 2019 10:42 pm

This is a P.S.

If you need a Falcon sail insignia I can copy the one I have and post it. It is an original.

Also, instead of buying new one might try finding good used sails that aren't blown out, that are slightly larger, and getting them re-cut. Just a thought.

http://www.precisionsailloft.com/
+1 (888) 958-5638;100‬ (Canada)
They use CAD to design the sail locally then email the design to an asian company that makes the sail and ships it back.

-= John =-
SailorJohn

Return to Restorations