Beetle Boats (American Boatbuilding Company)

Here's a collection of materials on the Falcon hull design from McVay, Beetle Boats, and others.

Beetle Boats (American Boatbuilding Company)

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:38 am

Post your findings about the Beetle version of the Falcon here...
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Re: Beetle Boats (American Boatbuilding Company)

Postby NODROG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Yachting Magazine ad, March 1960
Beetle Boat Co.
Scan_small.JPG
Scan_small.JPG (236.46 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
NODROG

Postby mainefalcon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for the hull ID # on a Beetle Falcon?
Thanks,
John
mainefalcon

Postby William » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I would like to know that as well. I could find no trace of any numbers of course the original Beetle logo was long gone before I procured my boat
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Postby mainefalcon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 am

The manager of our local West Marine store here in Portland suggested looking up under the cuddy. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but plan to.
mainefalcon

Postby Alecc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 am

If anyone is looking for the (a) hull number for the Beetle Boats Falcons from East Greenwich, R.I....here's a tip: These 'first falcons" , at least in one instance, were used heavily by yacht clubs in Southern New England in the 1960's and 70's for summer sailing lessons, mainly for their stability, and sometimes, for being called a tub. Being a "Falcon Alumni" at The Wadawanuck Yacht Club in Stonington, CT., our fleet was instituted after we lost most of our Lightning class to Hurricane Carol in 1954. American Boat Building is only 40 miles away, making the Club's "quick choice" that much easier. The "Wad" had the very first 35 Falcons ever built, and each was identified by their SAIL NUMBERS (1 through 35), no hull numbers were ever utilized. They were originally looked upon as "prototypes" for the Yacht Club to "try out". After a few ballast issues in the event of a capsize, that were corrected in East Greenwich, we placed our permanent order. Our fleet was manufactured between 1959 and 1961 and had the "beetle" logo in red on each side of the cuddy. Given a bit of time, I bet I can still remember their corresponding boat names. Number 1 was called "Merlin",#2 was C-Sharp, #3 was "Hop", #25..High Times, our Falcon #32 was named "Lion", and I won both the July and August Saturday Race Series back in 1973 with #24.."Clown" (McCagg Cup and The Shipshape Awards, too). Alas, our fleet has faded away only to be replaced by silly little Blue Jays (uncomfortable and pound pound over the waves)..they should have gone back to Lightnings!! I have finally settled in the Detroit area, and one day, my "dream" would be to own another one of these "original" Falcons and sail it on Lake St. Clair off of Southeastern Michigan..Be like riding a bike....Alec Caldwell, Warren, Michigan and Stonington, Connecticut. (Sorry it took me so long to respond to the inquiries..I know it has been a bone of contention).
Alecc

Postby DaveD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Alec,

I have my Falcon (Beetle/American Boat Building Co.) located at the other end of the Detroit River (FYC) on Erie.

Anytime you want to take it out, send me a Private Message and I'll send you my contact info. I could use the expertise, as I need to order some new sails soon and could use some pointers!
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to History