Rigging the Falcon

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

Rigging the Falcon

Postby Voodooacrobat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Greetings, sailors!

I have a 1966 McVay Falcon. I've seen a lot of folks asking for help in rigging their boats. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'll make a point of providing more in-depth and detailed photos of the way mine is rigged. Like you, I had no idea what it was supposed to look like, but a friend had sailed on similar small boats and helped me out a lot. Over time, I added a few tweaks (like a topping lift) that should be of use to someone.

I haven't sailed my Falcon yet this year because I bought a Westerly Cirrus a few years ago and have concentrated my efforts on her. But I resolve to sail the Falcon soon and I'll take detailed photos of the rigging for everyone. I don't know if it's correct, but it works well enough for me.

Fair winds,

Mark
Voodooacrobat

Re: Rigging the Falcon

Postby poncho1958 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I too have picked up on old McVay Falcon. She is a 1972 that needs some work. Any informaton on rigging would be a big help!
Jim
poncho1958

Postby DaveD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:03 am

I'll be setting mine up sometime in the first part of May, I'll try to take pics.

It'll be a learning experience for me too.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby yar1243 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:40 pm

I'll set up my mast and take pictures. You are right about the line running to the boom and not across the back. I tried the roofing stuff and it is not going to work (too soft). Give me a day or so for the pics it's been raining a lot here.
yar1243

Postby laybacklenny » Sat May 30, 2009 1:33 pm

I will be checking every day for pic's,
Thank's Len
laybacklenny

Postby yar1243 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 pm

This is 2 ways of doing it. I would recommend the first way with one block on the boom with the line crossing the stern. The double blocks seems like it might hang up a bit and you don't need the extra pull.
p_00034s.jpg
Single block on boom
p_00034s.jpg (218.46 KiB) Viewed 9056 times
Attachments
p_00036s.jpg
single
p_00036s.jpg (227.58 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
p_00035s.jpg
Singla block on boom
p_00035s.jpg (231.32 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
yar1243

Postby yar1243 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Here's with 2 blocks on the boom. Not as good because it doesn't feed through the blocks as well.
p_00039s.jpg
p_00039s.jpg (227.96 KiB) Viewed 9050 times
p_00038s.jpg
p_00038s.jpg (223.78 KiB) Viewed 9047 times
yar1243

Postby DaveD » Sun May 31, 2009 2:43 pm

I also spoke with an "expert" on rigging and adding the extra block at the boom.

We were out this weekend on a local lake in 20mph winds gusting to 30. (Mucho fun in this boat).

After we got done, he said that adding the extra block would make it easy for the pull but add extra length, hence longer times to release the main in a big puff to prevent a knock down.

If you are thinking about making the 4:1 I would strongly suggest adding the traveler approach.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby laybacklenny » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:47 am

Thanks for the pic's and info, Hope to get her out soon will let you know how i do.
laybacklenny

Postby poncho1958 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 am

I have been out twice now and have been using the single block on the boom. It seems to work well, uses less line and lets the main off easy. I'm thinking of trying just a single block at the stern, in the middle to avoid the lines wrapping around the motor.
Has anyone else found the rudder to be less than responsive? I have been sailing a Laser which turns on a dime but my Falcon with the tilt up rudder seems very slugish in a tach. I might try building a deeper blade to see if it helps.
poncho1958

Postby laybacklenny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:08 pm

I like the idea of just one line at the stern, lines and motor is my biggest problem.
laybacklenny

Postby DaveD » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:19 pm

I haven't had the issue with lines wrapping around the motor...but then again, I just have a motor mount away from the stern.

What about the tiller with your 1 block in the middle setup? My tiller comes up over the transom and stern.

Somethings I noticed about sailing this boat so far:

1. It points upwind much better with a head sail up.

2. Make sure your keel is down as far as it will go, or make sure it's dropping like it should. My keel is made of wood (oak I presume) and it pivots on a square bolt through the locker, make sure it's not stripped out or something. (Make sure you actually have a keel, I didn't know this until I launched my boat the first time because I couldn't lift it off the trailer myself.)

3. I was out on a lake with LOTS of weeds in it, and it was like sailing in mashed potatoes. The weeds were pushing the keel back up in the locker, and the rudder wasn't staying down.

4. Make sure your rudder is down and staying down when you are underway. If the water is pushing the rudder up while you are underway, you will have a less responsive rudder. Mine is made of solid 3/16 inch aluminum plate. The whole rudder assembly weights probably close to 30-40 lbs.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby TimGillespie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:33 am

I'm all too familiar with the design main sheet rat's nest that weaves between blocks all over the stern of the boat from my time with the Oday day sailer, and in light airs,. gets snarled in the tiller, rudder, and anything else it can engage. I was determined to re-rigg my Falcon, and I just did it and had the maiden voyage with the new rig. I bought a standup fiddle block with jamb cleat from Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine (http://www.drmarine.com/) and mounted it on the same wood plate on the centerboard box that my original block was on. I put a larger single block on the boom, slighty aft of the centerpoint of the boom and now have a 3:1 mainsheet that contains itself amidship. It works great, even in light air, which we were cursed with yesterday. Now all I really need is a new mainsail to replace the silly rag that came with the boat.
LaborDay09.jpg
On the beach fully rigged. Note my old Oday in foreground, now owned by my son Isaiah.
LaborDay09.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
Attachments
LaborDay09 (9).jpg
Fiddle Block
LaborDay09 (9).jpg (55.4 KiB) Viewed 8898 times
LaborDay09 (10).jpg
LaborDay09 (10).jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 8897 times
TimGillespie

Postby DaveD » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:57 am

I think you should race the O'day and post the results. :-)

I was going to do the same thing with the mainsheet.

Good to see that it would work.

I'm waiting on the cheek blocks from Rudy to redo the mast and halyards. Then I will move the jib sheet blocks up to the coaming boards like you have.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby TimGillespie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:57 am

Every Labor Day there's a Beetle Cat race in the Westport River. The race is today, and I was thinking I'd head off and hang around the fleet to see how my Falcon, now officially named the Dienaba, (pronounced JENNEBA), performed. Isaiah has his boat in Bristol, R.I., so won't be back in Westport for a while for me to sail against him. I'm also pretty confident that my boat's performance is way below what her potential is, considering the small mainsail. Looks like a good sailing day, so we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm still pondering the possibility of buying a mainsail kit from the Sailrite people. Anyone out there had experience with their sails?
TimGillespie

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 pm

I have heard of great success with their sail kits.

The cost of the machine is what is prohibitive to me, but if you could find someone to borrow one from, or a local sail loft to rent one from, I'm sure you could do it.

Jeff at Sailrite gives great support. I was never able to get an original main sail to get the dimensions from one on record. If you find this info out, please post it.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby cloudnine » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 am

The challenge I am having is figuring out where to place cleats for the jib sheets. #178 has two small winches but where can I put cleats available when you have crew and also singlehanding? Any suggestions as most of the boat photos on the site do not seem to have any.
cloudnine

Postby DaveD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:34 am

Hey Cloud,

Here is a link to a post where you can put the jib sheets.
http://www.falconsailboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99

There are 2 places. I recommend up by the coaming boards.

Thanks for joining up, and I look forward to helping you get your Falcon in shape!

--Dave D.
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby cloudnine » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm

David D.
Thanks for the info and the two alternates.
Cloud Nine
cloudnine

Return to Rigging