Raising the Boom

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

Raising the Boom

Postby laybacklenny » Thu May 14, 2009 9:00 pm

I am thinking about having the mainsail shortened by having it hemmed (folded and sewn)
i will come up 2in" from the foot make a 2in" fold and sew. The boom is just to low for me, am also having a problem with the halyard getting stuck at the top of the mast. I am thinking that the sail is stretched .Am i making a mistake, is this a bad idea, will it work? Would like to here what you think.
All coment's welcome.
laybacklenny

Re: Raising the Boom

Postby DaveD » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Here is a video of a Falcon under way.

It seems to me that it's a low boom as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaUwbAhhBU
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby poncho1958 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Lokk at my pictures in the restorations section. With the new mail sail the boom does seem a little low. I'm going to sail it for the year and then thinking of shorhting it as well. My idea is to change the cut of the sail so that the boom angles up in the stern, giving more head room without a loss of to much sail area.
poncho1958

Postby Alecc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Unfortunately, "shortening" the mainsail will not do the trick. It will result in the boom simply popping up and out of the sail track where the Main is threaded to the mast. The Wad Club's fleet owners went exclusively to Van Zant Sails in Old Mystic, CT. for all of their "First Falcon" sail needs. Their suit of sails were always a perfect cut for the Falcon's spar lengths. Not entirely sure if they are still in business..this was back in the '60's and '70's when our Falcons were fully utilized for racing..yes, they are awesome on both the race course as well as instructional for those just beginning sailing lessons.. heavy daysailer with three sails! As for the main halyard snagging at the masthead, try using a bit of graphite on the shiv/enclosed pulley for snag-free ease. To further prevent lockup, consider using wire halyards for the main/jib with a lock stem just below the masthead. This will reduce undue halyard stress on the mast and protect the "tune" at the same time. Each "windward leg" will be honest and true versus the mast to the hull. Repeat as necessary especially in salt-water climates. Note: best to use a continuous rope halyard for the spinnaker. This will insure speed/accuracy while "jibing" the spinnaker on downwind legs. Further, the use of a masthead wind indicator will assist when it is the correct time to complete the "jibe" (saves many a skull from the flying boom..they work great going upwind, too). See you at the Finish Line....Alec Caldwell, Warren, MI. and Stonington, CT.
Alecc

Postby wdtracey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:46 am

Raising the boom will change the boat's sail balance IE: you will be raising the boat's CE....now 2" won't make much difference, nor will it make much difference in hitting you in the head. Two issues: If you don't like ducking your head when you come about, by the time you cut the sail high enough to miss your head, the CE would be very high. This would probably result in excessive heeling, and that reduces boat speed. Add that to reduced sail area, by raising the boom, and you may not like the boat's sailing characteristics at all. If it is the danger of an undesired Jibe, and hitting someone in the head, you could use a preventer...a line from the boom to the lee side of the boat which prevents the boom from swinging across the boat should the wind cross behind the boat. However, with small boats like this, a preventer in heavy air, when backwinded can tip the boat. Best thing is remember this is a 16' boat with it's restrictions to comfort, but fun to sail Remember to use the old helm warnings: "Ready to come about"/ "Prepare to Jibe" See:
http://www.answers.com/topic/center-of-effort
wdtracey

Postby William » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm pretty much a beginer sailer having spent only last summer with my Falcon but I had the sail "taken up" about a foot by a local canvas shop so the boom would stop hitting me in the head. I haven't noticed excessive heel but then I almost never go out in winds over 20 mph.
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Return to Rigging