Topping Lift or Not

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

Topping Lift or Not

Postby William » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am

Have other Falcon owners added a topping lift to keep the boom from resting across the cockipit while your making ready to raise the sail. I usually have to get out a bit from shore before I can lower the centerboard and install the rudder and the boom lying in the center of the cockpit is an inconvinience. On the other hand since I trailer the boat rather than moor it somewhere for the summer, a topping lift is one more line to rig every time I sail. What is everyone else doing?
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: Topping Lift or Not

Postby DaveD » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 pm

The end of my boom has an eye that I clip the main halyard to, and lift it it up, and tighten the mainsheet so it doesn't flop around. I have the the sail bundled to the boom with a couple of sail wraps (bungees work for this).

When I'm ready to hoist, I'll ease the mainsheet, drop the halyard and move the clip up to the head, remove the sail wraps, then hoist it up.

Also, to aid when I'm single handing, I led the main halyard (and the jib halyard, too) aft through a cheek block on the mast, over the cuddy and I put a small cleat to tie it off on top of the cuddy. I can then prep it, and hoist from the helm in rougher conditions. It helps if you need to drop sail power in an emergency (MOB or worse BOB (Beer Over Board)) or when docking or mooring. I am also adding a tiller-tamer (poorman's autopilot) this summer to give more control in this circumstance.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby desertfalcon » Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 am

A boom crutch placed at the aft end of the boom is what we used for this in the old days and you can easily make your own out of a couple of 1"x1" boards placed side by side and putting a small bolt about three inches form the end and another closer to the opposite end with a small line through it to limit the distance the two ends can travel away from each other. The end with the line goes towards the cockpit sole and the boom rest on the upper spilt ends. It is simple and not a big loss if it disappears, but it will float. Length of the boards will depend on whether you set it on the sole or the rear of the seating area but about 3 feet should do it. You can raise the sail while the crutch is in place and when the boom comes out of it , it should just flop over into the cockpit where you can stow it after the sail is up.
desertfalcon

Postby William » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm

thanks for the suggestions but after a little experimantation, I decided to go with a topping lift rather than the boom crutch . I ran a simple line with a snap shackle that attaches to a ring through the spare hole at the end of the boom. It made raising the sail and rigging the main sheet easier and did not interfere when the sail was raised. I took it out on the lake Tuesday and all went well.
William
William

Postby Jimbo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:48 pm

I personally prefer to use the halyard as a topping lift. A small boat gets crowded fast with additional rigging or gear. Simplicity is key. Less is more... and it's not like there's a whole lot of boom or sail to contend with here. The halyard shifts from one duty to the other and I can see no reason to have both. IMHO A boom crutch just takes up space... when in use... when not in use.
Jimbo

Postby William » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:29 pm

I understand the objection fully because that was my thought at first too. Why have another line to rig before launching. so I was using the halyard but I still had to let the boom rest across the cockpit when I unhooked it to attach it to the sail head. the topping lift keeps it up and out of the way.
William
William

Return to Rigging