Forestay and side stay lengths.

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

Forestay and side stay lengths.

Postby rimike82 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm

The rigging on my boat is not factory, sorta mickey moused. Can someone please measure the fore stay from eye to eye and the side stays please.
rimike82

Re: Forestay and side stay lengths.

Postby DaveD » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 am

I will get you the dimensions off of mine this weekend.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby joecomet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

I sent a message yesterday saying i would measure mine today. Wouldn't you know it, when I went out with the tape it started to squal again. Maybe if stops in a few hours, I'll try again.
Joseph
joecomet

Postby joecomet » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Here are the measurments of the shrouds ("side stay") and forestay that i promised you.
My shrouds are 13' 11" from the hole in the tang at the mast to pin in the top of the of the turnbuckle. The shroud tang is about 7" and the turnbuckle in about 6"'.
The forestay is 14' with a 7" tang at the mast and about a 4" turnbuckle that connects to the bow plate.
I would bet that there is very little standardization to these rigs because of the refits that have occured from the original. This rig fits my sails, which appear to have been made in the last ten years and are in good shape. The sailmaker is a small outfit in California, with no web site. The sail has no number, but does have a red Falcon sewn on. As I said in my boat profile, there are no ID's on the hull. From the year on the tittle, 1964, I believe the boat to be one of the last produced under MacVay's association with Paceship. He placed some sort of ID on the boats he then built under his own name.
Hope any of this helps
'Carrifran Falcon'
Joseph
Tallahassee
joecomet

Postby rimike82 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Talk about a 2 year response time, but I have been doing a lot of traveling in the mean time and finally have time to get the boat back together.

I finally built new stays for my boat. If anyone needs the lengths, I have them. I have a 3" tang on the mast for both the side stays and the forestay.

Sizes:
The side stays are 13'9" from the pin center of the aircraft fork to the pin center of the open body turn buckle (1/3 open).
The forestay is 14'1" from the pin center of the aircraft for to the pin center of the open body turn buckle (1/3 open).

Materials:
Alexander Roberts Aircraft Forks on the upper part of the wire, P/N AF4
Alps 1/8" 1X19 316SS wire
Alexander Roberts Turnbuckle, P/N TS040808, West Marine P/N 152365
rimike82

Return to Rigging