Centerboard

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

Centerboard

Postby William » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 pm

the centerboard on my Falcon seems to have a hard time staying down especially on a good run. It does not appear to be original since it is made of some thick white polyetheline (I think) similar to what you see cutting boards for your kitchen made from. I don't think it is the right thickness and so it is not held down tightly enough. is it possible to get an original centerboard anywhere?
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: Centerboard

Postby William » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 pm

oops posted in the wrong category. sorry bout that
William
Sailing Theodora every day (I wish)
William

Re: Centerboard

Postby DaveD » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

It's alright, I moved it here.

My original centerboard appears to be solid OAK. I haven't had it disassembled, but I have been looking to replace the gaskets. (remove the triangle plate screws and handle, and replace the gasket behind it.)

Since mine is in good shape, and functional, I'm not going to remove it (pull it out of the hull).

The early DaySailers had a similar setup to our centerboards.

The components should work (I'm not sure on the dimensions of the centerboard, but there is someone here that can help, or you could give them a call at DR to find out if it would fit.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=102

These gaskets work. You might need to replace them.

I have had my centerboard pop up when weeds get snagged on it or it's hit bottom, but never at top speed. You may want to check the screws on the triangle plate that holds the handle on to see if they are tightened down. If they are loose, the lever will just lift up. It should be pretty snug when you push it down (using a bit of force, but not crazy force). You may need a volunteer to man the tiller while you tinker. Be careful not to back out he screws to far when you are underway, as you will start leaking a bit of water.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to Rigging