long shaft or short

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

long shaft or short

Postby laybacklenny » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Not sure if this the right place but.Witch is best for the falcon long shaft motor or short.
laybacklenny

Re: long shaft or short

Postby Voodooacrobat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 am

Greetings!

I had a 3.5 hp British Seagull on my Falcon that had a long shaft. It worked well enough, but when it was tilted up the end of the shaft still dragged in the water. Although a lot of that might have been because I have a stationary motor mount and not the cool kind that raises and lowers. I never tried a short staft motor, but I'm guessing the Falcon's draft is shallow enough that it would work.

My Seagull was a bit of a pain (environmental nightmare!) and I replaced it with a 36lb thrust electric trolling motor. I don't motor much (Hey, it's a sailboat!) and the electric is plenty beefy to get me to and from docks, up canals, etc. And a fully charged battery was more than enough to get me across most large lakes and back if the wind happend to die.

However the greatest advantage of the electric is reliability and weight. The motor and battery together weigh much less than the Seagull and I don't have to worry about carrying stinky fuel, oil, etc. It starts fine under any conditions, has five forward and three reverse speeds, and it's easy to mount, remove, and store. As a bonus, you can also plug other lights and goodies into the battery for nighttime sailing!

Fair winds,

Mark
Voodooacrobat

Postby laybacklenny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks for the input, This week i start shopping around .Will let you know what i end up with.
Happy Sailing.
laybacklenny

Postby DaveD » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:38 am

I purchased a 2.5 hp Nissan outboard short shaft (standard).
Although I haven't had it in the water yet, I have put it on the mount and gaged by the waterline that it is a good 8-10 inches below.

I also have a little zodiac that I can use the motor for if it isn't, but I got the gas powered motor for the bigger lakes up in Michigan.

I think that a short shaft should be fine. If I get it on the water before you buy, I'll post back.

Let us know!

DD
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby joecomet » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey Mark
I am also using an electric motor. A Min Tonka 40lb. The deal I found only had the long shaft. I think I will cut it down.
I have two marine 24 deep cycle batts. One up forward against the flotation bulkhead and one aft under the counter, where it also powers a 500 gph bilge pump. I installed a batt selector switch so I can use either or both and an on/off switch for the pump.
I am guessing it moves the boat about 2.5 knots at half speed. I ran it on setting 3 out of 5 for 3hrs in a garbage can full of water. I shut down after three hours with juice left in the batt. Its the fresh water version and I will be using it mostly in salt water. We'll see how long it lasts. At the price I bought it for I can replace it every other year if I have to.
Keep your stick out of the water
Joecomet
joecomet

Return to Rigging