to Tabernacle or not to Tabernacle

Lines, Sheets, Beats...Just get sailing.

to Tabernacle or not to Tabernacle

Postby quantumleap » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi all :) I will be raising and lowering the mast myself for the most part on my falcon. Now I have read of people who have cut the mast and put in a DR Tabernacle just above the cutty cabin in order to secure and then raise the mast. Any thoughts on this? I stood the mast up myself the other day, I had 18 feet of free standing mast above me and then yelled for help from the boys to attache the turnbuckles. This will be trailer'd and I need to be able to mast/demast this myself.

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS208

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR2121H
quantumleap

Re: to Tabernacle or not to Tabernacle

Postby DaveD » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

I don't use a tabernacle, and I raise the mast myself. I use the main halyard as a "temporary stay" while I clip the fore-stay down.

I have made a small modification to my trailer to allow me "hands-free".
IMG_0346.jpg

Here is my procedure:

1. With the mast resting in it's trailer crutches, attach the side-stays, leaving the fore-stay for last.

2. Run the halyards for the jib and main. (I wrap the jib halyard loose ends around the mast to keep them out of the way.

3. Tie the stern end of the main halyard to a cleat on the mast (I have cheek blocks because I run the halyards to the top of the cuddy).
IMG_0347.jpg
t]

Take the other end run it like you normally would, up and over the mast through the leads, leaving it hang.

4. I then raise the mast, put it in place, then grab the loose end of the main halyard, pulling it tight, run it through the eye on the trailer, then back and tie it off on the deck cleat.
IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

Now my hands are free to take my time putting in the pin for the fore-stay and messing with tension if needed.

After the mast is secure, I then untie the halyard and pull it back for use.

To tear down, it's reverse the procedure. (NOTE! Do not take down the main halyard until last).

Sorry for the indoor pictures, Next time I take it out, I'll snap some of the whole setup.
A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Postby WhiteFox » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Dave, I wouldn't mind seeing a wider view of your setup. Sounds like a great idea for those of us who sail alone.
WhiteFox

Postby DaveD » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:47 am

A bad day sailing is better than a good day at work...
DaveD
Site Admin

Return to Rigging